Tuesday, January 26, 2010

hummus recipe

Our vacuum came and it's great. I'm very happy with all the time and research that went into it. After the vacuum came I didn't have a project to work on so I had to find something to do. The answer came one night when Megan and I tried to make hummus. We tried our darnedest without a recipe but it just didn't turn out. We think the problem was that one of (I won't say who, but it wasn't me) spilled the garlic powder in the hummus while we were mixing it. Needless to say it was just a bit too much garlicky for us and we threw most of it away.

I wasn't about to accept defeat and deiced that I was going to make some amazing hummus and not only was I going to do it I was going to do it without a recipe, I think I get that from my dad (KFC gravy soup). I will say that although I didn't use a recipe I did do a lot of hummus recipe research and it turns out that all hummus recipes are 95% identical. The biggest differences were the portions of ingredients used. So I made a list of all the ingredients I needed and went to the store where people buy food.

We had most the ingredients already but I needed more Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), pita bread and Tahini, which is actually just sesame butter and is not located next to the butter or in the asian food section like that punk Rufio kid at the grocery store suggested I look. It is in fact next to the peanut butter. Anyway I went home and made some garlic red pepper hummus. I liked it so I saved it for Megan to try when she got home from work, seeing as how is it the hummus tasting expert. And she loved it! That's right. But I don't think I'm done yet. Although it was great I think I could do better. I'll make sure to let you know if any progress is made.

Here's the recipe I made up if you're interested. It is really easy to make and only takes about 15 min. probably less if you have a food processor instead of just a blender.

1 can Chickpeas (drained)
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup Tahini (found next to the PB)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 lemon (squeezed to death)
1/4 cup water
Cumin
Crushed Red Pepper
Salt

Add Garlic (I crushed and peeled the garlic and put it in the bottom of the blender so it would be sure to blend really well.), Chickpeas, Tahini, Olive Oil and Lemon Juice then mixed it. Add water slowly to get desired consistency. Add the Cumin, Red Peppers and salt last to taste. (I probably did about a tsp each of the Cumin and Peppers and not very much salt at all.) You could also use the juice from the Chickpeas instead of the water if you want. Serve with Pita bread (I like my pita warm) or whatever you like.

Like I said super easy super great.

2 comments: