Tuesday, March 23, 2010

his name is my name too

Here's the quick background boring part. Megan and I are renting a condo from a guy named John. John owns the condo with another guy named Steve, who happens to live in our complex and I bump into him every now and then and we exchange pleasantries. blah blah blah

The other day I was lying on the couch and I heard something, a small tap. I waited, and then heard it again. I sat up and waited again. There it was. I moved slowly so as not to scare whatever it was and eventually found a slow drip coming from the access panel in our ceiling. Not good. I figured it must be a leaky pipe because it hasn't rained for over a week. That's when I called John. He came over to look at it before calling the wrong people to come and fix it. When we opened the access panel a lot of water came rushing out. Not good. We found a slow leak coming from a pipe that must have pooled until it couldn't hold anymore and started dripping onto our floor.

John called his fix it man Sean. I've met Sean before when he came over to fix a few things when we first moved in. Right on, he's coming the next day to fix the problem. That makes Megan and me happy. Now Fast Forward >>> I'm walking to gym in our complex to lift some weight, it's no big deal I'm just tough like that. Anyway, as I'm on my way to the gym I see Steve. I wave and he shots me a "Hi Shaun" immediately followed by "Sorry, I didn't mean to call you Sean." He was still a ways off as I mumbled to myself "My name is Shaun" but I don't think he heard me. He then proceeded to explain that he had just spoken to John who had told him about the leak and also told him that he had already called Sean to come and fix it. That's why he called me Sean, because he was just thinking about it. I didn't have the heart to tell him that my name really was Shaun. Instead I just thanked him for being willing to help us so quickly. I then left and went to the gym.

Someday soon he'll remember that my name really is Shaun and he'll either be really confused, slightly embarrassed, or just laugh a bit. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment