Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Geo Morning

In case you don't know, Megan and I drive a Geo Metro. There is a stigma that goes along with driving a Geo that immediately equates to joke. It takes a certain thick skinned breed of people to drive a Geo. If simply driving a Geo Metro wasn't joke enough there is always the fact that I'm 6'6" adding to the laughter. I don't know how many times I've had to explain to people about the three week contortionist class I took just to learn how to fold my long gnarly body into a space of similar proportions.

This morning after I dropped Megan off at work I was driving home to gather a few things before heading to school. On the way to our apartment there is a small strip of road that is under construction just before my exit. As I entered the construction I noticed the car approaching behind me was also a Geo Metro. Under any other circumstance I would have made some joke to myself about the car, but who am I to talk. (Lately if I make a joke about another Geo it's usually about the fact that the other Geo is only a two door and we drive the superior four door model.) The construction ended and as I approached my exit the Geo behind me changed lanes and pulled up beside me to pass me. As he passed the driver looked over and threw me a wave.

That's when it hit me. I am part of an elite group of proud, self-confident people who drive Geos. I had no idea who the driver of the other car was nor had I ever seen him before. But he understood that we had something in common that set us apart for the rest of the human race. The Geo Metro.

I've seen similar events to this before. Next time you go for a drive watch for people who ride motorcycles. They always wave to each other regardless of who they are. And it's not just any wave, they all do it in the same way. They put their inside lane hand down and simply open it. It's discrete but it's enough to say "Hey, I understand you, fellow bike rider."

I was contemplating all of this while I finished the drive home. I was even fortunate enough to spot another Geo Metro as I turned into my apartment complex. It was a great reassurance we're not alone on the road.

When the stranger in the other Geo waved to me this morning it was at that moment I realized we do not need to know each other to understand each other. To all of you Geo Metro drivers out there; be proud of your car and who you are. You are part of network of people who know exactly what your going through. We've got your back. There is no shame in what you drive.

And 47 mpg doesn't hurt either.

1 comment: